American Addiction Centers states that one of the biggest deterrents from people seeking treatment is the fear of paying for rehab costs. Substance abuse treatment can be expensive, but it is the first step in your recovery journey and in living a sober life. 

At Gloria Rehab, we walk you through each step of the payment and financial process to ensure you have the options you need for successful treatment. You can verify your insurance and learn about financing options here

What are My Payment Options?

Paying for rehab is the first step after finding the right addiction treatment program. Often, you will be able to meet with the financial team and your specific treatment provider to discuss insurance coverage and any financing options available. 

Depending on the addiction treatment center you choose, you may have different options for paying for rehab. Some of these common options include using insurance, paying out of pocket, or getting a financing plan for costs you cannot cover. 

Understanding Your Health Insurance Coverage

For those seeking treatment from a drug or alcohol rehab center, you may be concerned on how your health insurance will affect your options for treatment centers. One of the most important first steps is understanding your insurance plan. 

Here are some common insurance plan terms you may find helpful to know before finding the right addiction treatment facilities.

Important Insurance Terms

These are some of the common terms you may hear when reviewing your insurance or seeking addiction treatment.

Premium: The premium of your insurance plan is simple. A premium is the set amount of money you pay monthly in order to keep your insurance. Generally, the lower the premium, the less coverage you will have from your private health insurance provider. 

Deductible: One of the most important insurance terms to know is the deductible amount. Your deductible is the yearly out-of-pocket amount you must meet before your insurance plan covers costs. 

Generally, the lower the deductible, the more expensive and high-tiered the insurance plan is. For example, if you have a $3,000 deductible, this means that you must pay the first $3,000 of your medical costs before insurance kicks in. Usually, insurance deductibles reset at the beginning of each year. 

Co-Pay: Your co-pay, or co-payment, is usually a standard set rate that your insurance provider will charge for certain services. Often, these will be listed directly on your insurance card. 

For example, you may have a primary care co-pay of $75. This means that every time you go to see your primary care physician, you will pay $75 and your insurance will cover the remaining costs. 

Coinsurance: This term involves the amount of money you’ll pay out of pocket for certain types of medical costs, mental health costs, or surgical costs. These vary depending on the type of insurance plan you have. Oftentimes, these are set rates that usually are 60/40, 70/30, 80/20, or 90/10. 

For example, if your insurance plan has a 70/30 coinsurance model, you will pay for 30% of the cost of rehab out of your own pocket, while your insurance provider will cover the remaining 70% of eligible costs. 

Below is a breakdown of different insurance policies that cover addiction rehab:

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and Insurance

Paying for addiction treatment services can seem scary. Between determining the total cost, understanding your insurance plan, and seeing if anything will need to be paid out of pocket, there are a lot of factors to consider.

In the early 2000s, insurance providers often declined to give health insurance coverage for addiction treatment. However, after the Affordable Care Act, substance abuse treatment from addiction centers became more readily available. 

The Affordable Care Act of 2014 states that private health insurance companies can no longer charge additional premiums for pre-existing conditions and diseases. 

After the passing of this act, substance use disorder was classified as a pre-existing condition. This meant that those needing to pay for rehab costs for drug and alcohol treatment could now use insurance to cover their treatment center. 

Generally, insurance will cover some portion of the following: 

  • Detoxification services
  • Mental health treatment or behavioral health 
  • Residential treatment
  • Intensive outpatient programs or general outpatient programs
  • Sober living or transitional housing

Get the Holistic Treatment You Deserve With Gloria Rehab

The right substance abuse treatment services are within your reach, and Gloria Rehab is here to help you take hold of your future. Whether you are suffering from alcohol or drug abuse, our treatment providers are here to give you a unique and individualized approach to care. Contact us today to begin the treatment process, or verify your insurance coverage and payment options here.